Tuesday, November 2, 2010

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents

The weakness of In How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, by Julia Alvarez, was the different events regarding the daughter and the time of the book.
            The book was reverse chronologically meaning that it goes from the future to the past. This kind of time is really confusing because I have to keep reminding myself that a certain event is before and not after the last chapter. Time was harder to keep track of in this book and there were so many times that I had to reread something and remind myself that the book is from the future to the past. Events were mixed up with one another and rereading was common for me in this book than any other book.
            Many of the events were confusing as well because of all the information about the daughters and their husband. The story would talk about one daughter and their husband and later talk about another daughter. This is so confusing because it’s hard to remember specific details. The detail about the husband’s job was hard to remember too. I would get myself mixed up with which daughter is the oldest and which one is the youngest. It was hard for me to remember some of their names because the first part of the book is mostly about the third oldest and the youngest daughter.
            So far, the story is a little interesting but there’s a bit too much information on certain stuff. When I first found out that we were going to read this book, I immediately gave this book a bad impression because the colors were dull, the title wasn’t really interesting, and I didn’t vote for this book.  I thought that this book would make me fall asleep and I dreaded reading this book. While reading the first three vignettes, my impression changed. I like the book a little because it was interesting. The book was very detail written, although I wanted some parts to not have as many details as they have. Even though the book was confusing, I always have this feeling that I want to continue to finish the vignette.

No comments:

Post a Comment