Friday, October 1, 2010

Response to Amber's Post

          I really agree with what Amber said. Although I'm not a person who was told the things Amber was told, I can still understand Amber's frustration.
 "By asking more questions, I started to finally understand the things that I didn’t understand before, and was able to use that new knowledge for other things that were influenced by it." 
          This is basically the definition for asking questions in class. Asking questions in class means clarification as well as helping classmates clear their confusion. It is also another way to practice talking in a group of people except not in front of them. It builds confidence in talking and it benefits the person who's asking because it means that they will do well with whatever they asked a question about. Furthermore, when a student ask question, teachers shouldn't even question why such as what happened with Amber:
"He/she responded by saying to me 'I don’t even know why you asked that question.' It was seriously insulting to hear a teacher say that to me."
          This is really offensive because it's like saying "Are you stupid?" Not only does it makes students feel like they shouldn't ask questions anymore in that certain class, it also make them feel as if all the questions they ask in class are stupid. Asking questions aren't stupid unless the student asked the same question that another student had asked due to not paying attention. Also, a question is not stupid if a student is seriously confused about it:
 "I was honestly confused and unsure about how to answer the question he/she put up.  I wasn’t the only person who didn’t understand it either.  I asked the classmates around me if they understood, and the people around me did not."
          Amber asked students around her if they understand the problem or not. She and those around her were confused so she stepped up and asked. She was helping her classmates and herself. There are no reasons for a teacher to question student's confusion. A teacher's job is to help students learn without having them confused. It is not right for a teacher to insult a student in front of the class.

1 comment:

  1. Awww... thanks, Phuong!
    you're significantly less evil, once again :D

    ReplyDelete